Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    user459

The current Model 42 I’m working on has an A41N3 lock, but came with no keys. I took it up to my trusty locksmith to have keys made. They’ve never failed me and have even come up with some original brass Eagle key blanks at times. They called this morning to say they made keys to fit, but they just turn around and around. The lock is not working.

I hate the thought of putting a shiny new lock on an old chest, so when I got home, I disassembled the lock. The front has tabs that are peened over on the back of the lock, so I had to get creative with my Dremel tool. I got it apart and it seems like there is a piece missing. There is nothing to act as a lever to move the catch back and forth. I assume it broke and fell out.

Does anyone have a lock of this vintage they could part with?

Is there an exploded diagram of these locks anywhere?

user459,

I have a suggestion for you.
    Why not buy a new lock disassemble it and put the new guts in the old lock body? With that said you will have to be able to secure the old case (Gerstner cover plate) to the back plate of the lock assembly. Since you have used your Dremel to remove the peened over closure tabs. Maybe if you know someone with a small spot welder they could put a few tacs of weld on it. Now hopefully the spot weld would not discolor the front of the lock with the Gerstner name on it. This could be the only hiccup to the reassembly getting the lock case back together.
    I wish you well with this lock reconstruction and maybe someone else will have another thought on this.
    Best,
    Jeff

user459

Jeff,

Good thought, but I have no confidence that the guts from a new lock will be compatible with the old lock case. Since Eagle Lock Co. of Terryville, CT, went out of business in 1975, and I don’t know where Gerstner gets them from now, it would be a long shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Lock_Company

I brought the parts back to the locksmith in a plastic baggie to see what they could do. If that fails, I’ll probably get a new lock and put some faux patina on it. I’ve done that with a lot of things like tools for Alfa Romeos.

My real hope is that someone will come up with an old one, even without keys, that will work.

Come on, guys!

keith gustafson
    Participant

Necrobump

I messed up and trying to get an old Yale lock working a key figured out I have locked it, open thankfully

I think the key in the pic is incorrect, look at the replacement key page and the pictures of the keys. They all have a weird profile, the end being long. There is no missing piece to the lock in the pic, the missing part is the key, the end of the key moves the latch.

Gerstner has no key for me, so I will figure this out, many of us don’t need security, just operation. The blank for my 80s era base fits in the Yale lock and turns but does not operate the lock. Now I have sheared a blank off inside the lock.

Oops.

Since it is open, I will remove the rivets and de manufacture the lock and let you know my progress

keith gustafson
    Participant

Took my Yale apart and it is similar. The way the pictured lock works is the three lever tumblers are upside down in the picture. They sit on the left pin and the springs push against the side of the case[the part that says Gerstner] The nubs on the lever tumblers face down and interfere with the arm on the lock mechanism so it cannot open or close without the correct key in place. The pictured key cannot open the lock because it needs a long tooth if you will that hits the upside down V in the lock mechanism and moves it back and forth, locking and unlocking it.
    I will post some pics of the slightly different Yale lock

keith gustafson
    Participant

So Here is the Yale lock opened up
    IT is similar but different, mirrored, and the catch is shaped diferently

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.