Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    user459

When reconstructing a front panel that has dried out and come apart, it is important to glue only the rails and stiles together where they meet. The recessed panel is meant to float in the rabbets in the insides of the rails and stiles to compensate for expansion and contraction.

The old time craftsmen used this technique of construction to get around the problem of solid panels splitting and warping. If you glue the insert in place, it will crack and split under the same conditions. Allowing it to float in place corrects this problem.

Well, at least I’ve never done that. 🙂

I hope you don’t mind me asking on this thread, but what do you do if the front panel no longer fits under the upper edge?

I have my grandfather’s O41B that’s in pretty good shape considering it’s a 1943-’48 edition, but the front panel just won’t close all the way as it hits across the whole top edge. Have you run into this kind of problem before and if so, how did you fix it? Thanks!

johncote-d83
    quote Shoreliner:

Well, at least I’ve never done that. 🙂

I hope you don’t mind me asking on this thread, but what do you do if the front panel no longer fits under the upper edge?

I have my grandfather’s O41B that’s in pretty good shape considering it’s a 1943-’48 edition, but the front panel just won’t close all the way as it hits across the whole top edge. Have you run into this kind of problem before and if so, how did you fix it? Thanks!

Please see my reply to your original post about this beautiful old box of yours.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.