Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    arkronjr
    Participant

I’m new to the Gerstner family. I have chosen to perform a full refinish of a Tiger Oak A41 (serial no 237) but I am an amateur woodworker. I’m looking for guidance on how to approach the finish. Which stain should I use, if any? What should I use for the finish coats? I’m planning on replacing most of the hardware & all of the felt because I want it to look like new. Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Mike Mallette
    Participant

I have restored many wood tool chest’s from a variety of manufacturers. Right now I am redoing a 50s era mahogany O42 , 11 drawer Gerstner. I am restoring to sell. I will try to be humble but I am extremely detail orientated and I generally get top dollar for my restored chest’s. I started by removing all the corners , latches , cutting the rivets of for the lock , hinges handle , etc. so all that left is the bare wood. Next I damped the felt with water as the hyde glue that was used to hold it down is water soluble. I remove all felt. Next I chemically strip most of the finish off using steel wool and the chemical. I do this so I remove most of the finish so that when I sand I am removing a minimal amount of material. You have to be careful as the top and the back are veneer and if not careful , you can sand through it. I did this before in my early resto days. After this I do any repairing of joints or damage. I then use an oscillating sander with 220 grit on all surfaces of the chest that will be stained/clear coat. Next I stain. For an oak chest I go with a golden oak. Wipe on wipe off. I dont let it sit on long at all. I let fully dry for a day of so . I then apply three coats of semi-gloss clear polyurethane. Sanding lightly between coats. I have tried many methods of application but I have personally found for me a foam brush pulled in the direction of the grain while keeping the oil polyurethane wet at all times , it will level out and by the time you get to the third coat it will look like it was sprayed on. I’ve done many like this and people always assume I have sprayed it , and it still leaves a beautiful look to the natural grain of the wood. Again , this is my personal BEST method. After a few days of drying I put both hinges , handle and lock on using split rivets. I attach all the hasps using the screws. I then Measure and cut the felt. Don’t but felt from Jo Ann fabrics. Get some stiff wool felt from Gerstner. It is the real deal. I have a self healing cutting mat , I measure each drawer and cut each piece as precision as possible. I use Hyde glue. You can get it from Gerstner , however I get mine from another source for a cheaper price. I also use the rubber feet for the bottom to because many people now a days like to have these chest in the house perhaps on other furniture and you dont want to damage anything. I will follow up with some pictures in stages of my present project in the next few days

Terry Rushbrook
    Participant

You may pick up a few pointers from my web sites: http://www.gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com

http://www.terrystoolboxes.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpEK_ITQQTjdNyVo7Clk_vg

Terry

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.