Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    24outback
    Participant

I had been de-activated by Gerstner’s software since the forum debacle started last year. I had to re-register using a different username (24Outback) which I’ve finally done. My old username was toolbox.
    Even though Gerstner has said the year of manufacture is represented in the Lot Number (stenciled on the inside of the bottom board of chests and cases) since 1953, they remain confused on how to decipher the year.
    I decided to do a historical study on stenciled LOT numbers to see if I could make any sense of them, year wise. I found that they actually started this practice in (I believe) 1959, not 1953. I was very surprised to come up with this preliminary conclusion, though it’s not cast in stone. This is based on Style #42 and #52 chests for now. The requirements for other chests and cases may have to be defined differently.
    If your chest has the Rec. w/# nameplate and its carrying handle is on the top of the chest, then it was manufactured in 1959 – 1968. For this group use the FIRST 2 numbers in the lot number as its manufactured year.
    If your chest has the Rec. w/# nameplate and the handles are on the ends of the chest, then it was manufactured in 1968 – 1980. For this group use the FIRST and LAST number for its year.
    If your chest has the Rounded Ends nameplate and the Style # (O52 etc.) is included in the stencil, then it was manufactured in 1980 or later. For this group use the LAST 2 numbers for its year.
    I found lot numbers varying from 2 to 7 digits, but that didn’t have an effect on the year. Chests before 1959 did not have lot numbers. The word ‘LOT’ may or may not appear in the stencil.
    (Here’s a side fact that showed up – Instead of the late 70’s, it was in 1981 that they changed #52 from 8/3 drawers to 7/3.)
    I’d really appreciate you Gerstner owners applying this study result on your #42 and #52 chests that have the Rec. w/# or Rounded Ends nameplates. Then, please post your reply with your Style #, Lot # and year date. Also include if you feel the year date worked for you. This will benefit everybody and maybe we can finally clear up this issue in the future.
    Thanks much………toolboxted
    https://sites.google.com/site/theguideforwoodmachinistchests/

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.