Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    rmkenv
    Participant

Hi All,
    I would like to see if the group could help me identify this chest that I saved from the dumpster!
    It is a leatherette style case with 2 large/long drawers and 5 smaller drawers.

Key elements:
    1) It is ~ 16″ long x 8 1/2″ deep X 12 5/8″ tall.
    2) At one point in time it had diamond shaped mirror (missing).
    3) Drawers are lined with green felt and the bottom of the drawers are metal.
    4) A faint logo decal is present on the center of the bottom drawer (in pictures)
    5) The hinges for the top are fleur-de-lis style
    6) The front panel finger pull is black painted ring style
    7) The lock mechanism is just plain odd. The exterior is shaped like a baseball home plate. I pulled the lock mechanism out and it is rectangular shape with no markings.
    8) The number “323” is found on the backs of each drawer. For the smaller drawers the maker marked it 323-1, 323-2 etc.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Terry Rushbrook
    Participant

I can’t see what this post has to do with a “frozen Kindle”…

Key elements:
    1) It is ~ 16″ long x 8 1/2″ deep X 12 5/8″ tall.

These dimensionshttps://sites.google.com/site/theguideforwoodmachinistchests/pg-02-list-of-mfr-rs to not match up with any in the charts for USA makers:

2) At one point in time it had diamond shaped mirror (missing).

We need a pictures of the Ghosting image of where the mirror was.

3) Drawers are lined with green felt and the bottom of the drawers are metal.

Consistent with many makers

4) A faint logo decal is present on the center of the bottom drawer (in pictures)
    5) The hinges for the top are fleur-de-lis style

Again, consistent with older chests.

6) The front panel finger pull is black painted ring style.

I’ll bet it id nickel plated steel under the black paint. Need a picture of it.

7) The lock mechanism is just plain odd. The exterior is shaped like a baseball home plate. I pulled the lock mechanism out and it is rectangular shape with no markings.

Weird lock is most likely a replacement by a previous owner.

8) The number “323” is found on the backs of each drawer. For the smaller drawers the maker marked it 323-1, 323-2 etc.

Common practice and numbering convention among manufacturers. Again, need pictures of the numbering on backs or drawers and orientation.

The dimensions of the chest and the beading on the bottoms of the drawer faces lead me to hazard a guess that it may be a Gerstner 41.

Terry

Attachments:
    rmkenv
    Participant

Terry, not sure I follow

Terry Rushbrook
    Participant

Did you take the time to read my reply?

rmkenv
    Participant

Ahh I stopped at frozen kindle which confused me. I’ll post additional pictures shortly

rmkenv
    Participant

Additional photos

Attachments:
    Terry Rushbrook
    Participant

The partial decal looks like an early Gerstner decal. Is the front panel on pins and rails within the bottom of the box?

Here is one of the old 41’s I have:

https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/7774

Terry

rmkenv
    Participant

Yes, the bottom inside of the box has 2 wooden rails which the front cover slides on top of under the drawers.

It looks super similar to your photos. The leather had the exact same square scratch stock pattern as yours. And the drawer construction is identical.

So the back panel of mine was severely water damaged and the wood was coming apart. Do you know what the appropriate thickness stock might be to replace it? Unfortunately, mine needs a total overhaul

24outback
    Participant

Hi rmkenv. Your chest sure looks like a Gerstner #41, built later than 1915. The 1915-1918 #41 had a cylinder lock to lock the lid closed. The lock on your unit is definitely different, therefore we don’t know if a previous machinist owner did that or if Gerstner supplied a few that way. By inspecting it, you may be able to determine which is true. You have a good one…….toolboxted

rmkenv
    Participant

Thanks! All the hardware looks like it was painted black do you think this was done by the owner or could you buy it that way?

24outback
    Participant

If the hardware looks like they have the original fasteners which are also painted black, then I would think that a previous owner did that, like the strange looking lid lock. Yes, you could buy black coated hardware, but you wouldn’t expect they’d use black headed fasteners. Good luck on your restro.……..toolboxted

daydiecast
    Participant

Hi rmkenv!
    Could you please help me with some reference pictures and dimensions of the front panel?
    Have to build it from scratch.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.