Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lawrence-bratcher
    Participant

I found my second wooden machinist box today. Knock out pacifically searching for them but as a machinist I’ve always had an admiration for those that have the beautiful gerstner boxes. I believe it is a union D14 that may have been a leather box. I say that because someone has fainted it all black including the hardware. It’s in rough shape but I only paid $30 for it and may or may not give it a complete restore. Lee back is a veneer that is coming apart. It has a split that runs around the Box but it still feels sturdy. As I look through the form I see that it is common for these boxes to be tacked back together over the years. My new one is no exception. It is missing the front that covers the drawers. And has had some type of custom sheet metal work done to the bottom drawer. I am guessing because the front cover or lid was missing there was room to add some depth to the bottom drawer. I will most likely give it a good cleaning and strip the black paint off and see what it looks like. I am in the market for one of the ring style pools that are on the front of the drawers that is missing. I see that they can be purchased new. But it would not have the patina I’m looking for or that matches the rest.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    lawrence-bratcher
    Participant

Oh well that didn’t go good. Thought I had looked it over for spelling. Anyway I’m not out looking for these boxes but I sure do like them. I’ll probably clean this one up and see if I can find another used drawer pull with some patina

Terry Rushbrook
    Participant

Looks like Union D-14, if it is truly 14 inches wide.

Too bad it is missing the front panel; that’s a deal breaker for me.

I think I may have a ring pull for you, though.

Terry

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    lawrence-bratcher
    Participant

I recall after leaving the Airforce and getting into the workforce as a Machinist many of the more mature machinists had wood boxes. I always admired the craftsmanship.
    I have collected several old measuring instruments over the years but have only came across one other box that has made it’s way in to my collection. I look forward to tinkering with this one. I will contact you Terry thank you.

Terry Rushbrook
    Participant

Did you notice that the ring pull above the one that is missing is installed incorrectly and that the two on the bottom drawer have been drilled for screws?

lawrence-bratcher
    Participant

Yes Terry I did notice that thank you. I started stripping the toolbox today the beautiful grain is coming out. I believe it was a leatherette covered box especially since it was painted approximately 2 in in side the Box just like the leather would have been applied. Who would paint this beautiful wood even if the leather wrap was falling off? I came across a national cabinet company Dental box locally. I did not purchase it it was very hard to pass on it was in excellent shape. I know that National cabinet company boxes were made by gerstner. I just may have been bitten by the same bug as many of you. Looking forward to finishing the restoration of this box.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.