Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    todd
    Participant

Hello All,
    I recently found this at a local auction. I cannot find the “Made By” stencil in the bottom. I’ve got a lot of work on this as most of the glue joints have separated. The back of the drawers are number 103. I did not see a number in the bottom of the case. I am missing the from face cover and some of the felt has been replaced with tan. The lock is manufactured by Eagle. and I believe it is nailed on and not riveted. The handle on the top is in really nice shape. The drawer guides are about half missing. I was hoping someone might confirm the lock was a replacement. I am missing the key. I will build a replacement front face, but I am hoping someone might have a detailed photo.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Scott Campbell
    Keymaster

Todd

Thank you for the post and the pictures of your chest. It is hard to tell if it is a Gerstner, based upon the pictures. Some of the joinery, hardware looks a little off.

What are the overall dimensions of your chest.
    Can you post a picture of the inside of the chest, without the drawers, so I can see the drawer runners?
    The Eagle lock should have a number stamped on the right side of the lock, on the same part of the lock that has the eagle stamping.

todd
    Participant

Scott,
    Thanks for taking the time to look at this. After removing the felt in the top, I realized it was actually green at some point. The 103 number is written there as well in the top of the lid and in the bottom of the top compartment. The box is 16 x 20 x 9 1/2″. I have started to glue the wood joints back and I have been fortunate to get the draw runners to come out. They look like poplar and are 1/4″ x 5/16″ x 7 1/2″.

regards,

Todd

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Scott Campbell
    Keymaster

Todd

Thank you for the pictures and the dimensions. Everything looks similar to a Gerstner, but the materials and joinery don’t look like they match older Gerstner Chests.

Is there a track that the front door would slide in, under the bottom drawer, or would the front door have a tongue on the bottom edge that fits into a groove on the bottom of the chest?

Terry Rushbrook
    Participant

I am beginning to doubt that this is a Gerstner chest. Several things don’t add up. First, the draw clasps on the front are not anything Gerstner used during this period. Second, the lock, whether Eagle, or Excelsior, or Yale, or whatever, should have been engraved with the Gerstner & Sons name. Third, the two screws at the bottom of the front rail are not standard. Fourth, absence of the stencil in the bottom of the box would mean it was made before 1940, yet the plywood stamp would indicate otherwise. and fifth, the wood seems to be straight grained oak rather than the quarter-sawn oak used by Gerstner.

Try this site for details:

Welcome and good luck,

Terry

todd
    Participant

Thanks Terry,
    You could be very much correct. Whomever the manufacturer, I’m still going to rebuild it. As to the screws in the front rail, I believe they were a homemade repair. They are not quite straight and there are two more in from the sides. The bottom portion of the front lock have different fasteners than any other fastener used. Someone also added a small partition in one drawer, it looks like an afterthought as well. I have a copy of Machinery Handbook from 1966 that is 3″ thick. The center drawer is 2 5/8″, so it leads me to believe the box was built at a time when that book was thinner than the 1966 version.

regards, Todd

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.