Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    kenlew

I have found what I believe to be one of the first Union “G” Cases. Trying to decide how to finish it. I had told Ted that I was going to strip it down for a complete restoration. After doing a cleaning, I’m not so sure. The top looks very bad but the rest looks decent.

Note the metal runners and lack of any slots on ends of drawers. I’ve never seen this before…

Attachments:

kenlew

After cleaning….

Attachments:

user459

Wow! Looks great as it is. I think you’ve stumbled onto a treasure!

I’ve been using clear Briwax and find I like it a lot. It cleans and waxes at the same time. And it’s a natural product. Very British.

kenlew

Thanks, Terry. I’ve used colored BriWax when trying to “pop” the grain but never tried clear to clean.

kenlew

Finished…

jerryvan-d30

Wow, really nice! I like the character of the old finish and honest wear. I think too many boxes get completely stripped and then look very bland. Off course, for some, there’s no other options but to strip.

toolbox-d12

You are a skilled craftsman resulting in a very good looking part of history. I agree with jerryvan……Ted

kenlew

Thanks, guys!

kara-d71

Gorgeous!

bill

Nice job Ken…

fishwats
    Participant

Thanks Terry. The subsequent chest I’m doing is that Neslein from England. I’ve been operating on it whilst watching for the glue to dry on the Union to buy here. Believe me there has been plenty of time even as the glue became drying on that chest.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.