Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    matthew.timbs
    Participant

Bought a Gerstner oak 11 drawer from an estate sale sight unseen. Well I saw bad pics. Been well used, I see some water stains. Missing a 3″ wide strip of veneer of the bottom back, and the panel underneath is dry/cracked and has a bunch of little nails across it. I think I can manage to repair that and re-veneer it. the top veneer is 70% loose, but again I think I can reglue. My question is this: There’s an opened joint on the lid between the top panel (where the handle mounts) and the back frame (where the hinges attach to the lid). The opening runs nearly the length of the lid and is almost 1/8″ at the widest (center of the lid).

When I use bar clamps to try to close it, it doesn’t budge. Looks like the top panel fits into a dado/groove and either something’s in the groove, the panel isn’t aligned right or the panel has delaminated, making it thicker. On the inside where the felt is mounted, at first I thought that the inside layer had pulled away, but now it looks like there’s a second piece that fits inside the lid (where the felt is glued).

So… do I need to take this lid apart? If so, how?. Am I right about delamination, if so can I clamp the layers together vertically somehow then pull the lid frame back together? Any advice?

matthew.timbs
    Participant

Answering my own question. a sharp whack on the end of the lid at the seam outward released the old glue.

And yes the lid has a tongue that fits into the frame. that tongue is thinner than the top and a thin veneer on the inside (where the felt was glued) was pulling away too. Much easier to reglue with the panel removed.

zok14
    Participant

Matthew,
    Glad you got taken care of. I was hoping you would get it or some good advice.
    I wasn’t sure what was best procedure.

Zachary Zisman
    Participant

I believe most of the original glue joints use hide glue which can be softened up with hot water and some patience. If you are having trouble getting things moved back to their original position you may want to get a bucket of hot water and some tags to soak the joint. Do note that it will loosen up all the glue in the area and you will need to re-glue all those joints that you soak. Maybe it can help though. Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.