Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    t-rex80-d73

I have a few chests that I have been trying to figure out dates on, and have run into a few inconsistencies on the dating information that it out there. The first one is a W52

I have done a bit of reading on the forum to try and figure out a date range for this chest. Due to the Brass tag on the front drawer, I new it was a later model chest and according to the post made by Scott Campbell in the model numbers thread regarding 11 drawer models

quote :

Gerstner Tool Chests – Style 52

The Gerstner Style 52 is the most widely recognized design of Gerstner chests ever made and the longest continuously produced style chest in the Gerstner line. The Style 52 is still produced today, with one less drawer on the right and the Style number has changed to the 2610.

The Style 52 was called the “Journeyman Chest”.

The Dimensions of the case are:
    Style 52 – 26″ wide x 15-3/4″ tall x 9-1/2″ deep

The small drawers on the left are 1-1/4″, 3/4″ and 2″ tall. The small drawers on the right are 1-1/4″, 3/4″, 3/4, and 1″ tall.

The center drawer was designed for the Machinery’s Handbook, often referred to as the Machinists Bible.

The 3 full-width drawers are 3/4″, 1″ and 2-1/8″ tall.

The 11-drawer Style 52 was produced from 1936 to the late 1970’s (when the design changed to 10 drawers). The Style 52 chest is often confused with the Style 42, which has the same drawer layout, but the Style 42 is only 20″ wide.

The Gerstner Style 52 is the most widely recognized design of Gerstner chests ever made and the longest continuously produced style chest in the Gerstner line. In the late 1970’s, the Style 52 changed from an 11-Drawer Chest with a top handle to a 10-Drawer Chest with side handles.

and this post from the 10 drawer models

quote :

The Style 52 was called the “Journeyman Chest”.

The Dimensions of the case are:
    Style 52 – 26″ wide x 15-3/4″ tall x 9-1/2″ deep

The small drawers on the left and right of the center drawer are 1-1/4″, 3/4″ and 2-1/4″ tall.

The center drawer was designed for the Machinery’s Handbook, often referred to as the Machinists Bible.

The 3 full-width drawers are 3/4″, 1″ and 2-1/4″ tall.

The 10-drawer Style 52 was produced from late 1970’s to 2015 (when the overall size was increased and the Style # was changed to the 2610). The Style 52 chest is often confused with the Style 42, which has the same drawer layout, but the Style 42 is only 20″ wide.

I assumed it was from the late 70’s. I then recently saw a thread where someone was asking about another chest and the lot number on that chest.

I noticed that this chest appears to have the earlier Rec W# drawer tag and saw this reply from Terry

quote user459:

Gerstners zip code is:

H GERSTNER & SONS20 GERSTNER WAYDAYTON OH 45402-8408

The lock number will not help determine the age of the chest, but its design and lot number do. The style of the lock is much later than the hasp type found on earlier chests.

https://sites.google.com/site/theguideforwoodmachinistchests/pg-10—gerstner-info/pg-13—style-14-15

The lot number indicates it was made in 1990. (Taking the first and last number)

According to this and the stamp on my chest

that would put the manufacture somewhere in 2011 if I am assuming this rational followed through the years. needless to say I am a but confused… anyone have any insight?

Woodworth 4th Gen.
    Participant

Just inherited my great grandfather’s tool chest. I have been reading a lot of posts on these forums, and I would like say thank you to everyone for all of the information. I am really digging this tool chest and the quality of build. I think my chest was made in 1943-1944, but again I am new to this and my assumption is just that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Woodworth 4th Gen.
    Participant

Also, the back of the drawers are all number in accordance with #100. Lock has no visual numbers or marks other than company logo, as well as the other four latches. Leatherette is in great shape from what I can see. It definitely needs a good cleaning, but that can wait until I’m better educated.

24outback
    Participant

Hello t-rex. Thanks for posting your ‘inconsistencies in dating information’ back in Aug. of 2020. I had not been re-activated by Gerstner’s software since they messed it up last year. I had to re-register with a different username, which I finally did. My old username was toolbox.
    You are correct on the confusion within Gerstner on trying to date any chest. When I read management’s statements they are either more confusing or just incorrect. It doesn’t appear that it’s a subject that they are concerned about and history is what got them to where they are now.
    I decided to do a historical study on stencil LOT numbers to see if I could make any sense of them, date wise. I was surprised to come up with this preliminary conclusion, and it’s not cast in stone. It’s based on many different chests, but for now I’m referring to the #42 and #52 –
    If your chest has the Rec. with # nameplate and the handle is still on top, then it was manufactured in 1959 – 1968. For this group use the first 2 numbers in the lot number as its date.
    If your chest has the Rec. with # nameplate and the handles are on the ends of the chest, then it was manufactured in 1968 – 1980. For this group use the first and last number in the lot numbers for its date.
    If your chest has the Rounded Ends nameplate and the Style # (O52 etc.) is included in the stencil, then it was manufactured in 1980 or later. For this group use the last 2 numbers for its date.
    I found lot numbers varying from 2 to 7 digits, but that didn’t have an effect on the date. Chests before 1959 did not have lot numbers. The word ‘LOT’ may or may not appear in the stencil.
    For your W52 t-rex, it dates as 1981. This would be the last of the 8/3 drawer configuration before going to 7/3.
    Please give me feedback if this all sounds reasonable. Thanks much…….toolboxted https://sites.google.com/site/theguideforwoodmachinistchests/

24outback
    Participant

Hey Woodworth, I don’t know if you have used this site, but it will give you the period date range of your chest. Good luck……..toolboxted https://sites.google.com/site/theguideforwoodmachinistchests/

kobodevice8
    Participant

If your kobo device is not troubleshooting properly even after trying everything? Then, you can factory reset kobo for starting it all over again. Sometimes, factory resetting it removes all the caches, cookies malwares from your kobo and it starts to work perfectly again

kobodevice8
    Participant

If your kobo does not troubleshoot the issues correctly even after trying all the things? Then, you can simply factory reset kobo for turning it all over again. Sometimes, factory resetting removes or eliminates all the caches, cookies malware from your kobo and it starts to work perfectly again

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.