Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    sshankk

Just arrived today and was very disappointed. Actually it made me a sick. I cant believe how cheap this chest is. I bought a used Gerstner 052 a while back I think it was made around 1950. I love this box it holds all my precision tools and then some. All I have to say is quality at its best and built like a tank. So I thought maybe a base would be pretty cool to go with it. After reading about the International base chest version the price was fair and it seemed to look good. So after waiting 5 days and making a spacer so it would fit when I got it. It finally arrived and what a piece of crap. Wood is cheap, Metal hardware was loose and rattled horribly. The bottom of the drawers are stapled and even stapled in crooked, and globs of glue shows all over the wood. Will these drawers even hold up? Im afraid to put my precision tools in these drawers. So after putting my treasure chest 052 on top. my jaw dropped, It made my 052 look so cheap. Now my ******* chest sits on top of this Base. Im using it to hold pencils, pens, and my paperwork. My fellow co workers cant believe how cheap this box is. I guess I will have to shop eBay for an older quality Gerstner and Sons chest. I can’t see myself buying the new USA one from Gerstner Im afraid it will be just the same quality as the International, and for over $600.00 no thanks. I rather spend $1,200.00 for a used 1950’s Gerstner chest. Gerstner Company you should not even sell these chests it makes you look bad. A real Tool and Die maker, and machinist knows quality and this is very low in quality. Very disappointed

kenlew

There is a big difference between this a d the USA products. If I were you, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the USA riser. Gerstner makes great stuff in Dayton.

sshankk

Yes. but they still put there name on it. Yes I know it was made in China but I didn’t think it would be that cheap. It is beyond cheap. It is pretty bad. Its awful. Im just disappointed because Gerstner is selling them on their Website and saying that they are built with the same quality but at a more fair price. What a crock! Ive seen the quality because I have one now. What I also read is that the drawers are the same on the bottom. No difference between USA and China. No more metal on the bottom like the originals. I read they switched because after time the bottoms Bow. Now they use some kind of cardboard or something very cheap and its stapled on. Very cheap, where is the quality in that? The drawers are very important and those are the worst. Is the drawers made differently in the USA? From what I read there made the same no difference. Also the knobs are screwed in from the back with phillips head exposed looks awful. Even being made in China shouldn’t the Gerstner Company have some kind of Quality control. before shipping to customers? I really want to order one of their USA ones, but im skeptical now. If anyone has a new Gerstner let me know how they are.

I have to back the brand. I have a very early 0-62, and a very new, 2 year old B-92-XL base it sits on. The fit, finish, and quality is just as good as my 62, and in fact the actual finish is better now than it was back then.

You cant go wrong on buying a USA made base. -Josh

sshankk

Hello Josh. Thanks for the the info. Yes Ive always loved these boxes ever since I saw one in the shop when I first started machining in 1989. Finally bought one 052 I prefer it over the metal ones. I think I will go with the B92XL Pro Series I Base Golden Oak. Im ordering today. Hoping it will be good.

j-f-d54

i cannot say anything(good or bad) about the GI chests, but I can say that the new gerstner chests are rock solid. the drawer bottoms are’nt stapled. if all my spare $ wasn’t going to motorcycle parts right now id spring for a new intermediate or base chest.

sshankk
    quote J.F.:

i cannot say anything(good or bad) about the GI chests, but I can say that the new gerstner chests are rock solid. the drawer bottoms are’nt stapled. if all my spare $ wasn’t going to motorcycle parts right now id spring for a new intermediate or base chest.

Dont know about the newer Gerstner USA chest because I dont own a newer model. I do own a older one, and I couldnt be happier. I do have a GI large base and it sucks. yes the bottoms are stapled. Do you have one? I do

j-f-d54

yes, I have a new model 52. pic in the “I use my chest for” section. and a couple older model in the same section. as much as I love the new chest I am partial to the old ones. mostly because I love “old” stuff in general.

sshankk
    quote J.F.:

yes, I have a new model 52. pic in the “I use my chest for” section. and a couple older model in the same section. as much as I love the new chest I am partial to the old ones. mostly because I love “old” stuff in general.

Im with you J.F. I love my old 052 I just ordered the Gerstner and Sons USA B92XL Golden oak to match it. Ill just stay away from the GI stuff.

@sshankk

I appreciate your honest review of the Gerstner International base. First, I would like to point out that you did purchase a “Second Class” (blemished) product, which will have some cosmetic flaws on the base.

Even though you purchased a blemished unit, some of the issues, like the hardware being loose and rattling should not happen on any product, International or USA made, and I will look into that issue.

We put the name “Gerstner International” on the chests so there wouldn’t be any confusion between the imported chests and our traditional Gerstner chests. We engineered the “Gerstner International” to meet a price point, so we specified lower cost materials and hardware to keep the costs down. The joinery used on the International products is Tongue and Groove construction, which is like the USA made products, which helps maintain stability of the product.

If you are not satisfied with the international base, and you would like to purchase a Golden Oak B92XL, I would offer the following:
    Since you purchased the base directly from Gerstner, I would issue a call tag to have the international base picked up by UPS returned to me at my expense. I would also credit the cost you paid for the base and the shipping toward your purchase of the Golden Oak B92XL base direct from Gerstner.

If you would like to accept this offer, you can send me a private message, e-mail me or call me at the factory.

seezee

Scott, I had you pick up a defective GI-519 yesterday for replacement. I’d sure be interested in upgrading it to a #12 hobby/repair kit in Oak if you’d be willing to make me a similar deal. Message me if we can work that out.

@Seezee

I have sent you a private message with the details.

seezee

I wanted to publicly thank Scott Campbell for his response on my exchange, and Nancy in customer service for facilitating. And to add to the opinions re: GI vs USA chests, the GI-519 was my 1st Gerstner purchase, and, like the original poster, I was very disappointed with the quality. However, the replacement USA chest (the #12 repair kit in oak), while basically the same design*, is a completely different story, well worth the (only slightly) higher price.

While I was working out the exchange, I bought a vintage 041C at an online auction. I believe the chests the factory currently produce in Ohio are every bit as good as the old chests, based on comparing my new chest with this old one. My advice is, if you’re thinking of buying one of the GI chests, wait a few weeks, set aside a little more cash, and buy the USA chest. You won’t regret it.

*Same dimensions & layout, but mostly solid wood, lovely flaked quarter-sawn white oak, better hardware, no chance the lock will come off like the GI chest, great fit and finish apart from one seam that isn’t 100% flush (but that’s being picky — you’d have to be looking for flaws to notice this).

kenlew

They make beautiful chests. I only wish I could justify one of these…

kcstott

Lets see how to dissect this.

Gerstner or not you bought a Chinese made box. Which I might add was my first Gerstner. I bought a GI 532 and a GI B532 Spent $500 and was happy with it. It served me well until I ponied up an bought a O92xl combo. Personally I’d take Scott’s offer. But to sit there an bad mouth a product that is 1/4 the cost of the American variety well next time go to Harbor freight an see what a real waste of money is.

I don’t know maybe I’ve been in manufacturing too long and know what good quality costs. Gerstner international hits the mark they set. It is a good box at a decent price, It is not to the level of craftsmanship that the Dayton product is but it is also no where near the investment. This is like buying a Ruger gold label and expecting a K gun. Even though it is a Chinese product it is still worth every bit of the MSRP. You can’t purchase a good Steel tool box for what you paid for this box. There is a huge difference in fit and finish too.

The thing is Gerstner could make a low grade USA made product but why? Thats not the point? They could use the same wood and same hardware and put a really low grade finish on it not take anywhere near the time needed to fit the drawer slides build it so loose they could slap it together. Sure and then they would have to figure out how to keep a good reputation going on a cheep product. But wait they already do make a lower grade product with a reduced price point. It’s called the second class line.

The people that buy an American made Gerstner do not have a problem shelling out the hundred to thousands of dollars it takes to get one. I know the money i spend on my chest was an investment and I don’t have a problem trying to justify it. The American made product is expensive but when you factor in the pure level of quality and attention to detail you see where the money is spent. That just ain’t so with a lot of other expensive products.

No I got exactly what I paid for, A top quality hand built, fit, and finished chest and base and it shows.
    This is my box I have now BTW thats a second class chest and base too. it took me an hour to find the “Flaw” and you have to really look for it to find it.

This is the Gerstner International I owned, When I got my US made box I gave this one to my older brother. He loves it. and knows what it’s worth.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.