Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    user459

I thought there would be a lot more posting traffic on the forum now that most of the country is sheltered at home. Do you have enough projects to keep you busy and out of your wife’s hair? Tell us about it.

billdaman
    quote user459:

I thought there would be a lot more posting traffic on the forum now that most of the country is sheltered at home. Do you have enough projects to keep you busy and out of your wife’s hair? Tell us about it.

To keep sanity I have been doing the following:

1. Installed new Car Stereo speakers, back up camera in my old Cadillac DTS. It has Apple car play and is a beautiful installation.

2. Daily long walks or bike rides

3. Looking for American made products to buy. I purchased this Hooch from Gerstner last evening. Cant wait for my Christmas part to show it off!

4. Not touching anything in a public place except thru a Clorox wipe!

nuhobby

I experimented with some Scotchbrite material to do a bit of ‘homespun’ Engine Turning on my Shopsmith. This may come in handy on a future project ….

slim-jerkins

Toolbox-wise, I have a Nat-Cab dentist box that I’m recovering and adding felt to. Planning on giving it to a friend who’s a retired LEO. Got the blue felt from Gerstner but ordered a dark blue leatherette (tolex) from a place that caters to guitar amp and speaker stuff. It’s a little thicker but we’ll see how it goes. Just wish the weather would make up its mind. One day it’s in the sixties, the next it’s in the thirties. I want to work outside in the sunlight.

Just joined was searching for information on a box. I found a few things but still have a couple of things I can’t figure out I know I have a 1919 now I thought it was a knock off when I bought it but under the cover plate felt it says 40 C and something else written I can’t make out

Just joined was searching for information on a box. I found a few things but still have a couple of things I can’t figure out I know I have a 1919 now I thought it was a knock off when I bought it but under the cover plate felt it says 40 C

and something else written I can’t make out

user459

Most likely, the 40CC is a production number, used within the factory to keep track of the parts that belong to this box. We would need detailed pictures and accurate dimensions to render an opinion. I looks like Gerstners I have seen in the past, especially the diamond backing plates with the detail around their perimeter.

toolbox-d12

Beings that you’re a newbie, you may not have checked out this site – https://sites.google.com/site/theguideforwoodmachinistchests/
    Your chest is definitely a Gerstner Style #41 if it’s 16”wide, #41A if 18”, #41B if 20” x 8 5/8”d or #41C if 20” x 9 ½”d.
    On Pg 10b it shows that your period date with the ring front panel pull would be 1919 – 1921. If you have the diamond shaped finger pull your dates would be 1921 -1923. If you don’t have the front panel then use the later dates of 1921 – 1923.
    Welcome to our hobby…….Ted

Thanks for the information I cleaned up the backs of the drawers and finding 40 on them soon as I figure out how this site works with my phone I’ll post more pictures �� thanks again

user459

So far, during this time of being “sheltered in place” I have done a GERSTNER style 14, A National 60O, a Union “G”, and have a Union B-20 close to being finished. I’m trying not to run out of projects, but a C.E. Jennings I bought on Ebay is stalled somewhere in the USPS system. It’ been sitting in one place for over a week. Not good….I may be reduced to cleaning the shop.

While I have been furloughed I am taking the opportunity to try and finish restoring three different toolboxes.
    First is a Pilliod case.

The second is a toolbox from an unknown maker. At first I thought it was a Star but it has wooden slides instead of metal ones and while some of the hardware is the same (the lock and brackets) some is different (the knobs and the plunger pins).

The third chest is a Star.

I got the stripping, sanding, staining, and varnishing done. Going to try and put the wax on today and cut the felt. Several of the knobs from each are missing of these. Still trying to find something close for the missing ones. Maybe later this summer I’ll get enough nerve to sew new leather on the handles.

All of these were pretty rough when I started (sorry, no before pictures). So far I think these are coming out pretty good.

Having resources like this forum (thanks Scott), being able to buy parts from Gerstner (I was able to visit their 2 summers ago to pick up some felt and mirrors), and having guidance from Terry’s website have all been a great help in doing this project.

user459
    user459

I finished up an O41C that I had been using as a BEFORE representation in my displays. (see link in post above) A repeat customer took a liking to it so it will be on its way to Portland, Oregon, this morning. Waiting for another project to show up. I have a neighbor who wants a bar table refinished, but I’d rather work on a tool box. Anything to avoid cleaning the shop!!!

user459

I’ve been waiting for this C.E. Jennings since April 2nd. It got stalled or lost somewhere within the bowels of the USPS system. It finally showed up today, but, though the packing box was unscathed, the tool case was busted up pretty badly. It’s going to take major effort to just get it back together, not to mention the restoration. Oh well, that’s what I’m here for, I guess.

https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/otherchests/3349

onomea-d96

Sounds frustrating. (I followed links and read where the person who sent it to you wanted it sent back. Don’t understand her reasoning but..) Hope you have other projects to keep you busy.

I’m waiting for milder, dry weather to get to stripping my 53 on the patio. Meanwhile, keepin’ busy, I’m waiting for a Crosman 1377 pellet gun to show up to deal with some bad boy squirrels messin’ with my patio plants.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.