Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    kenlew

I’m curious. We have about 101 members. Who are you, and what aspect of these chests brings you here?

I bought one and restored it, enjoyed it so much I bought a few more to restore. Has now become another hobby (in addition to shooting skeet, sports cars, restoring antique woodworking equipment, actually doing a little woodworking, collecting antiques, restoring old Stanley hand planes, etc etc). My real job is (with my wife) owning a small company that provides financial services to small business owners. My wife does accounting, taxes, etc, while I do cash flow management and strategic planning services. In my prior life, I worked in material management for large corporations for 20 years before escaping.

kenlew

102 members now and NOBODY knows who they are? Shy? I think it would be nice to know how everyone got involved in these old chests, and what their backgrounds are…

magnumtripod

I got into these chests right at the beginning of 2013. After restoring the one in my other thread, I had completely forgotten about how I actually became interested in them. I have no idea why, but it took me months to finally remember.

I had gotten an email from Stew-Mac and they had a Gerstner kit chest with a sunburst paint/stain job on it. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, so I started doing research on Gerstner and saw that many of their chests had way more drawers and features that would be better for my hobby. Thats when I started looking around for a vintage model that I didn’t have to build, but I could still put some work into. Since then I have acquired 2 more chests. One needs some TLC, but the other is in almost perfect condition. The really nice one will be getting some new felt, a good cleaning and thats really all it’ll need.

I’ve been in the security industry for about 5 years installing burglar alarms, fire alarms, cameras and access control. I got laid off in June, but I found out about it early and already had another job lined up and ready to go. I’m currently working for an electrician who does a lot of contract work for other security companies as well as normal electrical work. So I get the best of both worlds and there’s no shortage of work.

audiojunky

I’m currently in manufacturing. I started my career as a machinist in 1985.

While cruising the “World’s Longest Yard Sale” along Hwy 127 this past August, I came across a Gerstner leatherette covered chest. I recognized it as a machinist box but didn’t know anything about it. I snapped a picture of the front tag and then walked away. After doing some quick research on my smart phone I quickly became interested and decided I needed to go back and get it. With Scott Campbell’s help I now know it’s a model 41C. It cleaned up nicely. I’ve been looking for another chest and may display them in my new work shop.

j-f-d54

I guess i’m just a gearhead. I come from a car guy family. and my dads owned and built vintage and classic cars before I was even a twinkle as they say(was born in ’69). so I grew up w/ hot rods customs and drag cars and a smattering of motorcycles. I’ve owned a dozen or more pre-70s cars(only 1 presently). I had a motorcycle when I was young & single but when I got married my wife wouldn’t let me have one for a while. once I warmed her up I’ve had a bunch in the last 10 years(3 now). 2 or 3 years ago I needed to make some spacers for a motorcycle and asked my dad if I could use his little lathe. sure he said I could have it. its been all downhill since than. learning about machining and machinist tool. that’s when I first heard about gerstners and was hooked. I thought that was the classiest thing id ever seen. im also into vintage bicycles. for a living? I work in an independent auto body shop. I work in the office. don’t do body work for a living.

spark-plug

I’m a retired tool and diemaker. Got out of the army in 1968, and started to work in the machining trades, finished apprenticeship in 1972 and worked in the trade. In the trade Starrett tools and a Gerstner box on a ******* base says a lot about the tradesman. I came across an 052 that the young man said his uncle had bought from a sale, and he had sold the tools, and the boxes were left for the burn pile!! Yeah I’m restoring that 052. When I took out the bottom 3 drawer to read the Gerstner numbers, I discovered that the original owner had written in the corner bottom “Bought this box August 2 1955″, and also,”Started at Romulus 6-3-1961”. That kind of information in this find is unusual and very meaningful in the restoration of this Gerstner Journeyman tool box. This is a good hobby to pursue in the Gerstner tradition, more tool chests to come.

user459

I’m a retired Phone company engineer and alarm company business owner who moved from Massachusetts to Florida in 2011. I restore vintage Alfa Romeos and am involved in sourcing and making parts for them. I saw a vintage Gerstner at a friend’s machine shop that belonged to his father, who now has Alzheimer’s disease. I offered the son a ridiculous amount of money for it, but he wouldn’t sell. I ended up finding a real dog on Ebay and restored it. This was followed by another and another and another…. I really love these things! Scott Campbell has been a great help to me in researching and finding parts for these boxes.

kenlew
    quote user459:

This was followed by another and another and another…. I really love these things! Scott Campbell has been a great help to me in researching and finding parts for these boxes.

Agreed! I also appreciate all Scott’s help.

Hello,

I’m Jeff a retired Steelworker from East Brady, Pa north of Pittsburgh. I worked at Armco Steel Butler, Pa (AKA: AK Steel). Armco was a good company to work for AK not so much. I retired after 18½ years of service. I worked on an electrical steel (used in distribution transformers) processing unit as the coiler (making coils of steel) unit operator.
    I previously was a maintenance/ welder and mechanic. I suppose if I could have chosen a different career after 4 years in the Army (1966-70) other than welding I would have been a machinist.

I have always had a fascination with precision tools namely Starrett. I did take machine shop in high school and really liked it. As a boy growing up I would save up my money from my summer part time grass cutting job and purchase Starrett tools. Yes a very different hobby for a teenager.

I always wanted a Gerstner tool chest and finally bought one at the age of 66 on Ebay in very good condition. You might have seen my other postings here on the forum.

Since being diagnosed with cancer in 2011 and being a survivor so far I guess I have a small bucket list. I spend as much as I can with my family especially my 4 grandchildren and my wife and I (45 years) do many things together. We Geocache treasure hunting with a GPS (http://www.geocaching.com) take a look a great hobby/sport to get outdoors.
    Oh yes the bucket list far from being important, but none the less trying to accomplish some things that I need to do before I leave this life. Yes some things on the list are material and what I’ve always wanted and if they a reasonable I try to buy them.

So this is who I am and I just wanted to share. I’m happy to be part of the Gerstner forum and I might be joining the Gerstner Owners Club too 😎 .

I am slowly building up my power tools and hand tools for my hobby workshop.
    Looking for a South Bend 9A bench lathe.
    i just bought a very nice early oilcloth covered Gerstner machinist’s toolbox that needs to be recovered. It is crammed full of Starrett tools, around a $1,000.00 worth.
    I’m into restoring antique bicycles made from 1890-1920.

nuhobby

I’m 26 years into my Electrical Engineering career. In 2007 I started woodworking as a hobby. Always I was a little overwhelmed at material costs and time required for a “from scratch” project. In 2012 I restored my first derelict Union oak chest for my oldest nephew. Then I figured I’d progress through all my nephews (and husbands of my nieces). After 2-1/2 years I’m now on my 8th chest in progress. I love doing these and they exercise many aspects of woodworking and general handiness. I feel like it’s sort of a niche for me.

bill

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to share pics of your chests. As you can see, we post about techniques, tricks as well as questions about the chests or parts. Have fun.

bob-b-d43

I’m a mechanical engineer in the machine tool industry. Dad was a tool & die maker by trade. I worked as a machinist for him during high school and college. I grew up immersed in the trade, as he was the plant super when I was a kid. When I first went to work, he gave me the smaller of his 2 Union boxes, bought around 1940 or so. Years later, he gave me the larger Union box from around 1956-1960. I bought my O52 Gerstner box about 20 years ago while working at a die casting company. Since I’m now 100% in the office, all 3 boxes are on my bench at home.

ttkt57

I’m an orchestra teacher at a private school, an avid pistol shooter, a lover of rare books in leather bindings, a fanatic BBQ pit master when I can find time to put a brisket and some chunks of post oak in the smoker, a certified band instrument repair technician (lapsed), and a fan of 50s jazz.

My Gerstner kit chest (my first Gerstner) will siphon off tools that now live in cramped quarters in a *******–an assortment of trade specific instrument repair tools, some gunsmith stuff, some woodworking things, and a few Starrett items.

ttkt57

More pictures of my first Gerstner, now nearing completion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.