Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    gowing

These come from ( top to bottom ) a W-42, O52, and O42

Is the top something besides oak?

Thanks!

user459

The “W” should tip you off, just like the “O” in oak. “W” stands for walnut. It can be deceiving because Gerstner doesn’t believe in using stain on walnut boxes. Those of us who are used to walnut having a richer color can be thrown off by this practice. Nevertheless, it is walnut.

gowing

Thanks, Terry!

I sort of thought that was the case, but seemed to recall reading something that made me unsure.

bill

Also, you might run across an older mahogany Gerstner with it’s production control number starting with “O”, which usually stands for Oak. Apparently they did not bother to come up with it’s own indicator because they did not make that many of them back then. I’ve had several discussions with sellers and buyers about this. The ones that doubted were referred to Gerstner and I never heard from them again. PS Haven’t been working on anything right now. Daughter gave wife the flue and the wife gave me the flu, and I was the only one that got a flu shot. Hack, sneeze, moan, cough and then start over again.

novaiiman
    Participant

Just picked up this awesome 62 and 7-drawer mid chest. It has the optional red felt drawer lining and appears to be dark walnut. I’d like help confirming this as the label says O62, which would indicate Oak. I’ve worked a lot with oak and it is clearly not oak. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    keith gustafson
    Participant

Its oak, look at the tell tale banding or whatever you call the white patches across the grain

24outback
    Participant

I used Photoshop to lighten up your picture to see the grain better. Looks like it could be Walnut…toolboxted

Frank Butkiewicz
    Participant

Novaiiman, Those are a beautiful set you have there. The two chests in the photo above are quarter sawn oak, this provides the unique flecks and rays in each panel that completely changes the look of the oak. I have just refurbished my Walnut W62 and WB62 chests, also with red felt. Take a look at them in the Restoration Projects section.

24outback
    Participant

here, maybe, is the picture I lightened up.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Terry Rushbrook
    Participant

Definitely Oak.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.